The town and district of Romford lies in the northeastern parts of the English capital. It is part of the London Borough of Havering and according to the latest numbers has an estimate population of 100.000 people. The noted junction of Charing Cross is situated at about 14 miles from the area. It is also part of the RM1-RM7 postal code district. Before it was absorbed by London, Romford was a market town in the county of Essex. It is currently one of the most important districts in the city as it is one of the largest commercial, leisure, entertainment and retail hubs outside of the central parts of London. The River Rom flow through the area and is a well-known natural landmark.
The church of St. Edward the Confessor is arguably the most noted structure and landmark of the town. It was built during the mid-19th century and stands on the same site where once stood a 12th century chapel and 15th century church. It was designed by John Johnson and is considered to be one of the finest examples of Gothic churches in London. During the early 1950s it was recognised by the National Heritage List of England as a Grade II building. St. Edward the Confessor is an Anglican church and is part of the Diocese of Chelmsford. Recent studies show that the church is the most visited attraction of the town.
Saint Andrew’s Church is another well-known religious edifice that lies in the district of Romford. It was constructed during the early 1860s and just like St. Edward the Confessor it was designed by John Johnson. It was built out of necessity as the local population kept growing and the already present churches were not able to accommodate the religious needs of the ever growing community. Today, Saint Andrew’s is one of the area’s most visited places of interesting and is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful edifices in northeastern London.
The Trinity Methodist Church was built in 1888 and if know for its red brick façade. The edifice is known to be one of the most resilient structures in the English capital as it has survived a flood on its first year, a bombing during the German air raids of World War II and a fire on the Christmas Eve of 1980. The Salem Baptist Chapel is another religious structure that tends to attract people by the number. It is sits on the former grounds of a Napoleonic Barrack. The chapel was constructed during the 1840s and was opened to the public in 1847.
The district is connected to the other areas of the city by the Romford Railway Station. The rail link was founded in 1839 and in 1893 the Upminster platform was added. Today the structure has a total of five platforms and provides transportation services to an estimate of eight million passengers per year. The Romford Railway Station serves the following lines:
- Great Eastern Main Line of the National Rail Network
- Shenfield to Southend Line of the National Rail Network
- Shenfield Metro of the Crossrail
- Romford to Upminster Line of the London Overground
Aside of the station the district is also served by numerous bus routes that pass through it on a regular basis.
While the town of Romford may not be the location of any major landmarks it is still one of the city’s popular areas as it has featured in numerous television and cinematic productions, including the 2013 feature film “Death Walks” which was directed by Spencer Hawken and starred Lucinda Rhodes, Jessie Williams and Francesca Ciardi.